Are you love target practicing or hunting? But don’t want to spend too much on it?
If yes, here we listed the best crossbow under $400 for you.
These advanced crossbows have been modified to serve the archer’s purpose and upgrade their hunting experience. All of the listed crossbows are selected based on various aspects such as draw weight, shooting calibers, speed, pulling mechanism, and shooting range.
These crossbows are best for novices, and the quality & features of them are good enough for all skill levels. Here is the list of To 10 Crossbows Under $400 on the market, including buying guide and reviews.
Comparison Chart for Top 10 Crossbows Under $400 In 2020
|Crossbow||Speed (FPS)||Draw Weight (lbs)|
|Barnett Whitetail Hunter II||350||150|
|Killer Instinct Brawler||400||185|
|PSE Fang XT||350||155|
|Carbon Express Blade X-Force||320||165|
|Killer Instinct Rush 380||380||185|
|Wicked Ridge Warrior G3||320||155|
|SA Sports Empire Fever Pro||240||175|
|CenterPoint Tyro 4X||up to 245||175|
Which are the 10 Best Crossbow Under $400?
1. Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
|Speed: 350 fps||Weight: 6.4 lbs|
|Width: 16.125″||Kinetic Energy: 103 ft-lbs|
|Trigger pull: 3 lbs||Draw Weight: 150 lbs|
|Power Stroke: 12.5”|
It is one of the best-selling crossbows for both skilled shooters and beginners. It has manageable draw weight.
This best crossbow comes with TriggerTech frictionless technology for increased accuracy and power. Due to its lightweight, the bow is easy to hold and keep balanced when you are out hunting.
It comes with a solid aluminum crafted rail with the ideal amount of force, draw weight and balance to suit 5′ 9″ to 6′ 3″ shooters. This Whitetail Hinter 2 is the best mid-level xbow for someone looking to step up their game.
- It is simple to use.
- Its quality is impressive and well constructed.
- It is effortless to assemble as it only takes a few minutes.
- It is a powerful xbow for hunting.
- It is loaded with amazing accessories.
- Arrow speed is average.
2. Killer Instinct Crossbows Brawler 400 FPS Crossbow
|Speed: 400 fps||Weight: 6.3 lbs|
|Axle-to-Axle(cocked/uncocked): 14″/18″||Energy: 131 ft-lbs|
|Length: 31.25″||Draw Weight: 185 lbs|
|Trigger: 3.5 lb||Camo: Chaos Woodland|
You can unleash up to 400 FPS with this lightweight Brawler crossbow. Its ultra-light composite frame is designed to reduce bulk and mass while maintaining accuracy.
It features a new and innovative MAX footpad stirrup for safety and comfort while cocking. This crossbow for deer hunting has reverse cam, multiple position buttpad and foregrip that helps to give customized fit for added protection. It is one of the fastest crossbows.
It gives proficiency in hunting due to its sleek, compact profile that is easier to aim and shoot. In the crossbow package, it consists of 4×32 IR-W scope, rope cocker, string suppressors, 5-bolt quiver, (3) HYPR lite bolts and field tips, rail lube.
- It comes with Reverse Cam (REVCAM) Technology that increases power and speed output.
- It comes with a multi-position butt-pad and adjustable foregrip.
- It has an ultra-light composite frame.
3. PSE Fang Series Compound Crossbow
|Speed: 350fps||Weight: 6.25 lbs|
|Length: 33-5/8″||Draw Weight: 155 lbs|
|Width (uncocked/cocked): 19-1/8″/15.75″|
The PSE Fang 350 XT is a great choice crossbow for hunting out of a blind or other tight spots. It shoots bolts up to 350 feet per second and produces 109 ft-lbs of kinetic energy. This crossbow is a quality bow and very accurate.
It is the best crossbow for the money that is provided with anti-dry fire safety and auto-safety trigger. This 625 pounds bow is one of the lighter crossbows that can be great for carrying in the woods for extended periods.
Its 155 pounds draw weight is manageable for any sized hunters. It comes in ready to hunt kit including 4×32 MR scope, Green limb dampeners, 5-bolt detachable quiver, and 3 – 20″ carbon arrows with 100-grain field points. It also comes with rope cocking device, rail lube, and Rubber-coated foot stirrup.
- It is fast, light, and effortless to manage crossbow.
- Under 20″ axle to axle, you can shoot from confined areas like treestands and ground blinds easily.
- It comes with anti-dry fire safety and trigger for safe operation.
- Included scope in the package is about medium quality.
4. Barnett Jackal Crossbow Package
|Speed: 315 fps||Draw Weight: 150lbs|
|Energy: 95-foot pounds||Power Stroke: 12 inches|
|Length: 32.5″||Width: 26.5″|
|Arrow/Bolt Size: 20”||Bow Weight: 7.7 pounds|
|Axle-To-Axle: 20″||Trigger Pull: 3.5 lbs|
For novice shooters or those looking for basic, inexpensive bow should take a look at the Barnett Jackal. This crossbow offers good power accuracy and a lightweight, durable stock.
It comes with all of the safety features that you would expect from a crossbow at this price. It assembled in less than 10 minutes. The Jackal is designed for new archers involved in target shooting and to make that experience the best one.
The accuracy ranges up to around 40 yards while if you’ve great precision, you can exceed 50 to 60 yards. The Barnett recruit has quad split style limbs that are stable and provide great support to take proper aim and make a precise shot. Also, its evenly distributed mass makes it comfortable to use.
In the package, it includes red dot scope, 3x 20-inch arrows with field points, quiver, and hex keys crossbow bolts.
- It is durable, easy to handle.
- It is effortless to set up and use.
- It assures good power, accuracy, and speed.
- It comes with five years limited warranty.
- It is the best for beginners and intermediate users.
- It has a great design and sturdy construction.
- It is a little bit noisy and loud.
- The stock isn’t adjustable.
5. Carbon Express Blade X-Force Blade Crossbow
|Speed: 320 fps||Weight: 6.5 lbs|
|Length: 34.5″-36.5″||Draw Weight: 165 pounds|
|Width(Uncocked/Cocked): 17.5″/13″||Draw Length: 14.5″-16.25″|
|Power Stroke: 13″|
The X-Force Blade comes with high-end features such as a customizable fore grip, adjustable butt-stock, and an aluminum rail. It is a lightweight, yet durable crossbow. The best part about this crossbow is its quietness and ease of loading.
It comes with an adjustable stock and multi-position foregrip. It delivers high stability through a customizable fit for comfort. Moreover, it is comfortable and easy to carry in the firing position for a longer time without causing fatigue.
It has a Silentech layer that provides a bow with a spongy feel and works as sound suppression.
In ready to hunt kit, it consists of:
3 Carbon express 20″
Piledriver arrows with moon nocks
3 Field Points
3 bolt quiver,
Rope cocking device
- It comes with an adjustable multi-position foregrip for comfort and stability.
- Its 4×32 scope is water, shock, and fog resistant.
- The scope has six reticle crosshairs for targeting and various distances.
- It offers fast, quiet loading even when wet.
- These crossbows come with ambidextrous safety.
6. Killer Instinct RUSH 380 FPS Crossbow Package
|Speed: 380 fps||Weight: 5.8 lbs|
|Width (Cocked/Uncocked): 15.75″/19″||Length: 32.5-34”|
|Trigger: 3.5 lb||Draw Weight: 185 lbs|
|Power Stroke: 13.5”|
The Hero 380 packs a great power into a sleek and compact crossbow. It shoots arrows up to 380 feet per second while maintaining a 1″ circle spread out to 60 yards.
Its 3.5-pound trigger is comfortable and smooth, which provides excellent accuracy. With 5.8 pounds, it is one of the lightest crossbows.
It comes with custom rubber shock absorbers that reduce vibration and noise. With an ultra-light composite stock, it is comfortable and easy to maneuver.
This crossbow package includes illuminated scope, 3 Hyper arrow, 5-bolt quiver, rope cocker, dead silent kit, and a barrel lube.
- It is a very well-made and balanced weapon.
- Its compact size makes it perfect for use in tree stands and blinds.
- It gives the best performance and accuracy with sub-1 inch.
- It has a multi-position butt pad and adjustable foregrip.
- It has manageable 185 pounds of draw weight.
- It is a bit difficult to assemble.
7. XGear Crossbow Archery Equipment Hunting Bow
|Speed: 210 fps||Weight: 5.85 lbs|
|Width: 26.5″||Length: 34.5”|
|Trigger pull: 6 lbs||Draw Weight: 160 lbs|
|Power Stroke: 10.5”|
This is another lightweight crossbow that can do well as a youth crossbow. The XGear crossbow has enough power to shoot a medium to large games.
At just $300, it is an affordable crossbow for those into deer and elk hunting. It comes with an antidry fire mechanism that prevents and protects you from dry firing.
Its red dot sight lets you aim more accurately so that you can hunt down your target without fail. Moreover, it comprises of 3-red-dot sight scope, 4x 16″ aluminum arrow, wax, stringer, padded sling, quiver, and cocking rope.
- It comes with an anti-dry fire mechanism.
- It delivers a speed of 210fps.
- It has the best build quality.
- It is a light-in-weight crossbow.
- It comes with padded sling.
- It has a slight recoil.
- It isn’t suitable for youth hunters.
8. Wicked Ridge by TenPoint Warrior G3 Crossbow
|Speed: 320 fps||Weight: 6.6 pounds|
|Axle-to-Axle(cocked/uncocked): 19″/22.6″||Energy: 96 ft-lbs|
|Length: 37.75″||Draw Weight: 155 lbs|
|Power Stroke: 13.5”|
The Wicked Ridge Warrior G3 is the budget crossbow from TenPoint. It comes with a pass-through foregrip that gives archers a solid forehand grip while minimizing the risk of fingers in a string path. Another thing is oversized reinforced nylon safety wings that are a bit longer, which eliminates the chance of fingers or thumb ending up in the string path.
It offers plenty of power to take animals up to the size of deer with ease. This model can shoot up to 70 yards, but it would be better to stay inside 40 yds in hunting situations. Either you are a beginner looking for an entry-level crossbow or a seasoned hunter, this G3 is an excellent choice for just about anyone.
The included 3x multi-line scope is excellent for both entry-level or experienced archers. This crossbow kit is equipped with 3-arrow quiver, 20″ aluminum bolts with 100-grain points, foot stirrup and a tool pack with wrenches.
- It has a comfortable grip with a nice design.
- It has an impressively light trigger for enhanced accuracy and consistency.
- It has a magnesium riser that gives durability.
- It is constructed from machined aluminum.
- It ensures smooth draw and release.
- It doesn’t include a rope cocking device.
9. SA Sports 647 Empire Fever Pro Crossbow
|Speed: 240 fps||Weight: 4.8 lbs|
|Axle-to-Axle Width: 26.5″||Power Stroke: 10.25″|
|Length: 32″||Draw Weight: 175 pounds|
This crossbow is a beginner level crossbow at a low price range that offers relatively good performance. It weighs less than 5 pounds and has a short power stroke that makes it one of the lighter crossbows.
It offers much power to bring down a deer. With 175 pounds of a draw, it shoots an arrow at 240fps, which gives an arrow around 51lbs feet kinetic energy. You can carry this xbow un the bush without any fatigue due to its lightweight.
In the package, it contains almost everything you want to get on the ground. It consists of fields, slings of the shoulder, 2x 16″ arrows, quiver, and rope arming device.
The limbs are made of fiberglass that makes it low weight and comfortable to hold. Its optical quality is remarkable that is designed for clarity and antifog coating so you can use it even in cold foggy.
It is ambidextrous with a safety system that triggers effortlessly and a reliable anti-dry fire system. This crossbow can assemble in minutes, and even beginners should set up this in less than 15 minutes.
- It comes with a hand saver palm grip on a Picatinny rail.
- It features ambidextrous auto safety.
- It is affordable and budget-friendly.
- It is ready to shoot package.
- It comes with a quality quick detach quiver.
- Its trigger system isn’t up to the mark.
- The quality of scope could be better, but you can update if required.
10. CenterPoint Tyro 4X Crossbow Camo Camouflage
|Speed: up to 240 fps||Weight: 5 lbs|
|Length: 30.5″-32.5″||Draw Weight: 175 lbs|
|Power Stroke: 13.50″||Width(Cocked): 18″|
This CenterPoint crossbow is easy to manage with only 5 pounds and is the best option for beginners. It is easy to cock with cocking-rope. This bow is accessible, reliable, and lightweight.
With the suitable broadhead, you can take down any deer at 20 yards. It generated 50 ft-lb kinetic energy that is enough to kill your target. It has a compression-molded fiberglass limb; therefore, it can withstand potential damage.
It is the best bow for hunting a small to medium-size game. The Tyro Crossbow package consists of:
- 4x 16″ Arrows
- 4×32 mm scope
- Cocking Rope
- It has a sturdy construction.
- The CenterPoint Tyro comes with good safety features.
- It packs a high power at a budget-friendly cost.
Factors To Consider When Looking For The Best Crossbow Under $400?
It is defined as the amount of effort you must put into a crossbow in order to cock it and get it ready to hunt. The heavier the draw weight, the more power the crossbow has. It generally falls between 150 to 220 pounds. You can use a rope cocker device to cock a crossbow easily.
You can use a rope cocker or crank cocking device to cock a crossbow with ease.
It is a vital factor to consider as the higher the arrow velocity, the farther the arrow will travel. For hunting purposes, select a crossbow with a speed of 300 fps.
Crossbow weight can decrease or increase the maneuverability. Low weight models are perfect for beginners, women, and youths.
With extra features, it assures excellent accuracy, dependability, and safety. It comprises scopes, noise dampening-devices, and other accessories.
The noise dampener reduces the noise and vibration when the shot is fired.
For quality products, you have to spend at least $300. Under $400-$500, there are some advanced models. You can expect a good velocity under this price range. Also, look for additional accessories within the package. Barnett recruit is also high-grade budget model under $200.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to aim well at the crossbow?
The first step before shooting the bow is loading the weapon. Some models delivered with separate accessories, or some come as ready to hunt. Read the manual carefully to know the steps to cock the crossbow safely.
After cocking a bow, you can load an arrow.
- Hold the arrow at the front as close as possible to the point.
- Make sure that your hand and fingers stay well away from the rope path.
- Once the target is aimed, pull the trigger and keep the target aligned in your line of sight.
2. How to maintain the crossbow rope?
It is important to maintain the crossbow rope well. Apply specialized wax for the rope to retain it. This limits the friction between the rail and the string. It is recommended to do this every 4 to 5 shots.
3. What is the difference between recurve crossbow and compound crossbow?
Recurve crossbow has longer limbs and a long barrel to offer a long power stroke. On the other side, the compound crossbow can fire an arrow at much higher velocities as its mechanism allows for great tension in limbs.