Are you love target practicing or hunting? But don’t want to spend too much on it?
If yes, here we listed the best crossbow under $400 for you.
These advanced crossbows have been modified to serve the archer’s purpose and upgrade their hunting experience. All of the listed crossbows are selected based on various aspects such as draw weight, shooting calibers, speed, pulling mechanism, and shooting range.
These crossbows are best for novices, and the quality & features of them are good enough for all skill levels. Here is the list of To 10 Crossbows Under $400 on the market, including buying guide and reviews.
Comparison Chart for Top 10 Crossbows Under $400 In 2020
|Crossbow||Speed (FPS)||Draw Weight (lbs)|
|Barnett Whitetail Hunter II||350||150|
|CenterPoint Sniper 370||370||185|
|PSE Fang HD||405||205|
|Bear X Intense CD||400||175|
|Killer Instinct Burner 415||415||220|
|SA Sports Beast||400||185|
|Killer Instinct Rush 380||380||185|
|SA Sports Empire Diablo||385||185|
|SA Sports Empire Fever Pro||240||175|
Which are the 10 Best Crossbow Under $400?
1. Barnett Whitetail Hunter II Crossbow
|Speed: 350 fps||Weight: 6.4 lbs|
|Width: 16.125″||Kinetic Energy: 103 ft-lbs|
|Trigger pull: 3 lbs||Draw Weight: 150 lbs|
|Power Stroke: 12.5”|
It is one of the best-selling crossbows for both skilled shooters and beginners. It has manageable draw weight.
This best crossbow comes with TriggerTech frictionless technology for increased accuracy and power. Due to its lightweight, the bow is easy to hold and keep balanced when you are out hunting.
It comes with a solid aluminum crafted rail with the ideal amount of force, draw weight and balance to suit 5′ 9″ to 6′ 3″ shooters. This Whitetail Hinter 2 is the best mid-level xbow for someone looking to step up their game.
- It is simple to use.
- Its quality is impressive and well constructed.
- It is effortless to assemble as it only takes a few minutes.
- It is a powerful xbow for hunting.
- It is loaded with amazing accessories.
- Arrow speed is average.
2. CenterPoint Sniper 370 Crossbow
|Speed: 370 fps||Weight:7.7 lbs|
|Width: 21.5″||Kinetic Energy: 110 ft-lbs|
|Length: 36″||Draw Weight: 185 lbs|
|Trigger Pull: 5 lbs||Warranty: 5 Years|
The Sniper 370 ensures powerful performance, smooth operation, high accuracy, and better speed. It is a good option for hunters on a budget. This bow is easy to carry and shoot.
The CNC machined cam system propels the arrow at a speed of 370 fps. Its composite aluminum stock gives a more tactical look and ensures better durability, better performance, and speed. It generated 110 ft-lb kinetic energy that is enough to kill your target. It has a Quad limb with precision machined cams; therefore, it can withstand potential damage.
The included 4×32 scope features crosshair and circles in red and green and has a calibration setting of 40 yards. It also includes three 20″ carbon bolts, a three-bolt arrow quiver, shoulder sling, and a rope cocking device.
- Adjustable stock and foregrip.
- Well-balanced crossbow.
- Great crossbow for beginners.
- Compact and sturdy design.
- Superior firing velocity and string silencers.
- Accessories are made of cheap materials.
- Trigger creep issues.
3. PSE Fang HD Crossbow Package
|Speed: 405 fps||Kinetic Energy: 134ft.lbs|
|Draw Weight: 205lbs||Overall Weight: 7.3 lbs|
|Length: 35.5″||Power Stroke: 14.5″|
|Width Axle-to-Axle (uncocked): 18″||Width Axle-to-Axle (cocked): 14″|
|Optics: HDV 425 1.5-5×32 mm||Finish: TrueTimber Viper|
The Fang HD shoots a crossbow at an impressive 405 fps. As compared to other PSE models, it is more compact that makes it easy to maneuver in tight spaces. With composite stock and limbs, it is durable and built to last in tough hunting conditions. Moreover, its reverse type cam increases speed and power.
Apart from this, it comes with an ADF protection system and auto-engage safety. This feature is useful for both beginners and experts as it adds an extra layer of safety. Keeping comfort in mind, it comes with a bullpup configuration that gives extra support, and you don’t feel the crossbow’s burden.
Assembling this crossbow is easy. The installation of limbs, quiver, and scope is required. With the help of the user manual, it’s simple to install the crossbow properly. All in all, it includes all the other things you need for a better hunting experience.
- Variable speed 100 yd illuminated scope
- Five bolt quiver
- three 22″ Thunderboltz bolts
- Adjustable buttstock and cheek-piece
- Owner manual
- Dampeners and String silencers
- Narrow, slim profile – easy to handle.
- Best for men, young shooters, and women.
- Adjustable buttstock for a custom fit.
- String silencer and dampeners to reduce noise & vibration.
- Ergonomic design for unbeatable accuracy.
- Draw weight is high.
4. Barnett Jackal Crossbow Package
|Speed: 315 fps||Draw Weight: 150lbs|
|Energy: 95-foot pounds||Power Stroke: 12 inches|
|Length: 32.5″||Width: 26.5″|
|Arrow/Bolt Size: 20”||Bow Weight: 7.7 pounds|
|Axle-To-Axle: 20″||Trigger Pull: 3.5 lbs|
For novice shooters or those looking for basic, inexpensive bow should take a look at the Barnett Jackal. This crossbow offers good power accuracy and a lightweight, durable stock.
It comes with all of the safety features that you would expect from a crossbow at this price. It assembled in less than 10 minutes. The Jackal is designed for new archers involved in target shooting and to make that experience the best one.
The accuracy ranges up to around 40 yards while if you’ve great precision, you can exceed 50 to 60 yards. The Barnett recruit has quad split style limbs that are stable and provide great support to take proper aim and make a precise shot. Also, its evenly distributed mass makes it comfortable to use.
In the package, it includes red dot scope, 3x 20-inch arrows with field points, quiver, and hex keys crossbow bolts.
- It is durable, easy to handle.
- It is effortless to set up and use.
- It assures good power, accuracy, and speed.
- It comes with five years limited warranty.
- It is the best for beginners and intermediate users.
- It has a great design and sturdy construction.
- It is a little bit noisy and loud.
- The stock isn’t adjustable.
5. Bear X Intense CD Ready to Shoot Crossbow Package
|Speed: 400 fps||Draw Weight: 175 lbs|
|Length: 36″||Power Stroke: 12.7″|
|Width(Uncocked/Cocked): 14″/10″||Weight: 7.8 lbs|
This another crossbow comes with incredible shooting speed up to 400 fps. Its heavy, sturdy frame is a guarantee that you’ll get more than your money’s worth if you opt for it. The sleek profile of Bear X Intense CD with 36″ length makes it easy to manage.
It is made of completely plastic it doesn’t look cheap at all. It is hard plastic and feels very durable. Furthermore, it features an anti-dry fire mechanism, which makes it perfect for beginner and youth crossbow hunters.
This crossbow doesn’t have a premium scope as it is an entry-level crossbow. Even though it comes with 4×32 multi reticle scope, it is fog-proof and accurate once correctly sighted in. The ready to shoot package requires the installation of a quiver, foot stirrup, and scope. It is easy to and shouldn’t take much time.
It consists of illuminated scope, cocking rope, a 4-arrow quiver, three BearX TrueX arrows, and rail lube/string wax.
- Cocking rope comes in handy when you need to cock the bow.
- Compact and easy to maneuver.
- Delivers powerful performance.
- Easy to assemble.
- At 7.8 pounds it is a bit heavy.
6. Killer Instinct Burner 415 Gray Crossbow
|Speed: 415 fps||Kinetic Energy: 141 ft lbs|
|Trigger: 3.5 lbs||Width: 14.75″ cocked|
|Width: 18.75″ uncocked||Length: 34.5″-37″|
|Weight: 6.7 lbs||Draw Weight: 220 lbs|
|Power Stroke: 14.5″||Camo: Realtree Edge|
This affordable crossbow can shoot arrows at incredible speed. At the same time, it is light in weight at 6.7 pounds and loaded with many amazing features. It is easy to handle by shooters of different heights. Also, it has incredible speed, kinetic energy, and power stroke.
It comes with a 6-position AR-style buttstock and adjustable X-Lok. Thus it enables you to adjust the stock in six positions. Moreover, its X-Lok foregrip is adjustable for a more comfortable grip.
The 220lb draw weight isn’t easy to handle for beginners. However, it is easy to cock with a rope cocker device that cuts the weight in half down to 110 pounds of required effort. It comes as ready to shoot package, including all essential accessories that match your expectations.
- Lumix 4×32 IR-W scope
- Rope Cocker
- 3-bolt quiver
- Three 370-grain HYPR Lite bolts with field tips
- Dead Silent Kit
- Rail lube
- Easily adjustable to fit medium to large-sized hunters.
- Lightweight and easy to handle.
- Excellent 415 fps crossbow at this price range.
- Quiet performance, thanks to the integrated sound dampening system.
- Narrow frame for easy handling.
- Without a crank cocking device, hard to cock for small-sized hunters or hunters with a back problem.
7. SA Sports Beast 400 Reverse Cam Crossbow
|Speed: 400 fps||Weight: 6.25 lbs|
|Width (cocked/uncocked): 14.5″/17.76″||Length: 35.5”|
|Power Stroke: 17.12″||Draw Weight: 185 lbs|
The Empire Beast comes with custom-designed CNC machine inverted cams. It features adjustable tactical AR-style buttstock, and the foregrip is average for a bow with this amount of power.
It offers plenty of power to take animals up to the size of deer with ease. This model can shoot up to 60 yards, but it would be better to stay inside 40 yds in hunting situations. Either you are a beginner looking for an entry-level crossbow or a seasoned hunter, this Empire Beast is an excellent choice for just about anyone.
The included 4×32 multi-reticle scope is excellent for both entry-level or experienced archers. This crossbow kit is equipped with a side mount quiver, 20″ carbon bolts, shoulder sling, foot stirrup, and instruction manual.
- Lightweight and accurate.
- Inverted Cam technology and quad limbs.
- Adjustable tactical rear stock.
- Ensures smooth draw and release.
- Comfortable grip.
- Ambidextrous auto safety.
8. Killer Instinct RUSH 380 FPS Crossbow Package
|Speed: 380 fps||Weight: 5.8 lbs|
|Width (Cocked/Uncocked): 15.75″/19″||Length: 32.5-34”|
|Trigger: 3.5 lb||Draw Weight: 185 lbs|
|Power Stroke: 13.5”|
The Hero 380 packs a great power into a sleek and compact crossbow. It shoots arrows up to 380 feet per second while maintaining a 1″ circle spread out to 60 yards.
Its 3.5-pound trigger is comfortable and smooth, which provides excellent accuracy. With 5.8 pounds, it is one of the lightest crossbows.
The Killer Instinct crossbows come with custom rubber shock absorbers that reduce vibration and noise. With an ultra-light composite stock, it is comfortable and easy to maneuver.
This crossbow package includes illuminated scope, 3 Hyper arrow, 5-bolt quiver, rope cocker, dead silent kit, and a barrel lube.
- It is a very well-made and balanced weapon.
- Its compact size makes it perfect for use in tree stands and blinds.
- It gives the best performance and accuracy with sub-1 inch.
- It has a multi-position butt pad and adjustable foregrip.
- It has manageable 185 pounds of draw weight.
- It is a bit difficult to assemble.
9. SA Sports Empire Diablo Reverse Cam Compound Crossbow
|Speed: 385 fps||Weight: 6.5 lbs|
|Length: 36″||Draw Weight: 185 lbs|
|Power Stroke: 14″||Width(Cocked/Uncocked): 15.5″/18″|
This is another lightweight crossbow that can do well as a youth crossbow. It has enough power to shoot small to medium size frames. Its rifle-like stock looks great, which is made of synthetic material.
It has a long power stroke of 14″ that provides the Diablo a short-range knockdown power. This bow is ideal for deer and elk hunting. Its trigger boasts automatic safety that prevents dry firing. All in all, it is well balanced and feels comfortable shooting with it and holding it.
Furthermore, it consists of 4×32 multi reticle scope, which is designed to give multiple yardage options. However, it doesn’t come pre-assembled – you’ll have to set up the crossbow yourself.
- CNC machined inverted cams.
- Ambidextrous auto safety.
- Lightweight and compact.
- Traditional synthetic rifle stock feel with cutouts that reduce overall weight.
10. SA Sports 647 Empire Fever Pro Crossbow
|Speed: 240 fps||Weight: 4.8 lbs|
|Axle-to-Axle Width: 26.5″||Power Stroke: 10.25″|
|Length: 32″||Draw Weight: 175 pounds|
This crossbow is a beginner level crossbow at a low price range that offers relatively good performance. It weighs less than 5 pounds and has a short power stroke that makes it one of the lighter crossbows.
It offers much power to bring down a deer. With 175 pounds of a draw, it shoots an arrow at 240fps, which gives an arrow around 51lbs feet kinetic energy. You can carry this xbow in the bush without any fatigue due to its lightweight.
In the package, it contains almost everything you want to get on the ground. It consists of fields, slings of the shoulder, 2x 16″ arrows, quiver, and rope arming device.
The limbs are made of fiberglass that makes them low weight and comfortable to hold. Its optical quality is remarkable that is designed for clarity and antifog coating so you can use it even in cold foggy.
It is ambidextrous with a safety system that triggers effortlessly and a reliable anti-dry fire system. This crossbow can assemble in minutes, and even beginners should set up this in less than 15 minutes.
- It comes with a hand saver palm grip on a Picatinny rail.
- It features ambidextrous automatic safety.
- It is affordable and budget-friendly.
- It is ready to shoot package.
- It comes with a quality quick detach quiver.
- Its trigger system isn’t up to the mark.
- The quality of scope could be better, but you can update if required.
Factors To Consider When Looking For The Best Crossbow Under $400?
It is defined as the amount of effort you must put into a crossbow in order to cock it and get it ready to hunt. The heavier the draw weight, the more power the crossbow has. It generally falls between 150 to 220 pounds. You can use a rope cocker device to cock a crossbow easily.
You can use a rope cocker or crank cocking device to cock a crossbow with ease.
It is a vital factor to consider as the higher the arrow velocity, the farther the arrow will travel. For deer hunting purposes, select a crossbow with a speed of 300 fps.
Crossbow weight can decrease or increase the maneuverability. Low weight models are perfect for beginners, women, and youths.
With extra features, it assures excellent accuracy, dependability, and safety. It comprises scopes, noise dampening-devices, and other accessories.
The noise dampener reduces the noise and vibration when the shot is fired.
For quality products, you have to spend at least $300. Under $400-$500, there are some advanced models. You can expect a good velocity under this price range. Also, look for additional accessories within the package. Barnett recruit is also high-grade budget model under $200.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to aim well at the crossbow?
The first step before shooting the bow is loading the weapon. Some models delivered with separate accessories, or some come as ready to hunt. Read the manual carefully to know the steps to cock the crossbow safely.
After cocking a bow, you can load an arrow.
- Hold the arrow at the front as close as possible to the point.
- Make sure that your hand and fingers stay well away from the rope path.
- Once the target is aimed, pull the trigger and keep the target aligned in your line of sight.
2. How to maintain the crossbow rope?
It is important to maintain the crossbow rope well. Apply specialized wax for the rope to retain it. This limits the friction between the rail and the string. It is recommended to do this every 4 to 5 shots.
3. What is the difference between recurve crossbow and compound crossbow?
Recurve crossbow has longer limbs and a long barrel to offer a long power stroke. On the other side, the compound crossbow can fire an arrow at much higher velocities as its mechanism allows for great tension in limbs.