In a Hurry? Our Top 2 Picks to Buy!
1. QEONIX Cold Steel 9733 80PGTK GI Tanto
2. Smith & Wesson SWTK8CP Six 8 inch Throwing Knives
Imagine you are stuck in the dense forest, and for surviving to those conditions, you have to take care of food and security. In those situations throwing knives will be handy that not only keeps you safe but helps you during your hunts and plucking fruits from trees.
Whether you are doing Knife throwing as a hobby or self-defence, this is the essential skill to have. It can help improve your concentration and coordination levels. Knives throwing are also an excellent workout for your arms and back.
It is also a great way to relax and develop your mind-body coordination.
If you’re a novice and you’ve no idea about these types of knives, or you’re an expert thrower and searching for a knife with the right blade, then you are in the right place.
There are a variety of knives available in the market that fits in everyone’s budget. Below is the list of Best Throwing Knives, comparison chart, and buying guide.
Comparison Chart for Top 10 Throwing Knives
|Throwing Knife||Weight (oz)||Length (inch)|
|Smith & Wesson SWTK8CP||4.7||8|
|Perfect Point PAK-712||3.35||8.5|
|Gil Hibben Small||13||8.5|
|Avias Kunai||approx 1||6.5|
|Perfect Point RC-179||–||8|
|Gil Hibben Pro||6.4||8-5/8|
|Gil Hibben Large||12||12-1/8|
Which are the 10 Best Throwing Knives In 2021?
1. QEONIX Cold Steel 9733 80PGTK GI Tanto Knife
|Blade Steel||1055-grade Carbon|
This Cold Steel GI Tanto is a large-tactical knife. It is best for survivalists, campers, hunters, and anyone that needs a knife with few limitations on what it can do. It comes with a broad 7″ carbon blade. It has a sturdy construction and a great for all throwing competitions.
It is made of 1055 carbon steel that is black, rust-resistant, and durable. The handle is covered in polypropylene scales firmly supported by fixed and integral quillion guards. Its blade can also be used for hacking through things, slicing through metal, and even can be recast to be used as a spear.
These throwing knives are versatile and well balanced with or without the scales attached.
Its handle has a unique design with a full tang. The handle is aesthetically designed with polypropylene scales. The scales of the throwing knives are removable, which makes it easily convertible into a spear or war club that is unique.
It has a razor-sharp edge and pointed tip. It is designed so to give an undercover appearance. As it is seven inches long, it provides better penetrating power when force is applied.
The Qeonix GI Tanto comes with a Secure-Ex sheath. It protects from damage when being carried through the wilderness, as its blade has a sharp edge. The sheath is made from sturdy plastic that securely locked it in with “click” sound.
It can be worn on your belt as it isn’t MOLLE compatible.
Due to its central balance, you can grip it from its handle or blade. It offers speed and precision with ease and holds an edge without denting the tip when thrown with the right technique.
- Its edge are consistently sharped, and the tip penetrates deeper into the wooden target.
- This tactical model is versatile and suitable for general outdoor purposes.
- These cold steel knives are scratchproof and rustproof.
- It is easy to wipe.
- It is suitable for those who have better knife-throwing skills.
- It is fit for hunting, camping, and self-defense.
- It isn’t fit for beginners. They might find it challenging to practice with these weighty knives.
2. Smith & Wesson SWTK8CP Six 8 inch Throwing Knives Set
|Blade Steel||2Cr13 High Carbon|
Smith & Wesson is a well-known weapons manufacture. It comes with a black colored nylon sheath that holds six stainless-steel knives. The dual-edged spear creates the perfect stick to any target or tree and travels quickly in the air to raise speed and accuracy.
These light-weight models are the perfect tools that you can conceal. The concealable fixed-blade and ergonomic-grips are well balanced for competitions.
It has a solid, robust construction as its blades are made of stainless steel. Its blades can’t easily bend or chip when it hits rock hard surface even after a missed throw. The stainless-steel is well-balanced and rustproof. These knives are an excellent choice for rugged use, and its shine will maintain for years.
It comes with a nylon belt sheath that is weatherproof and can be used for winter practice. The sheath is lightweight, even while holding all six knives.
The mass is well distributed, which produces a fantastic spin. This complete knife set is great for both a knife-throwing expert or newbies. These throwing knives are ergonomically enhanced with engravings of the manufacturer’s logo.
- These throwing knives come with effective double-sided design.
- These knives are ideal for practice and supports newbies to improve their knife tossing skills.
- The complete set is balanced with sturdy-tips that stick firmly into the targets.
- It is available at an affordable price.
- Due to its thickness, it can’t stick to hard grain wood.
3. Perfect Point PAK-712-12 Throwing Knife Set
|Blade Steel||Stainless Steel|
|Set Quantity||12 piece|
This twelve-piece set by Perfect Point is ideal for straight-throwing and a no-spin style. It comes with six black and six silver stainless-steel throwing knives that are offered at a reasonable price for such a large-set.
It is a reliable knife with a 2mm blade-thickness that reduces the chance of bouncing off targets during throws. Its amazing center at gravity will help newbie throwers learn new techniques and improve skills.
Its SS handle and blade are stylishly cut that allow a firm grip. At the end of the handle, there is a laser-cutout lanyard hole. It will enable throwers to enjoy the no-spin technique. That means the knife flies straight when thrown instead of flipping in the air.
Each of the throwing knives come with an overall length of 8.5 inches so that they can be concealed easily as they’re portable. This set is versatile and ideal for outdoor purposes like camping, self-defence, and hunting.
The set comes with a black foldable nylon sheath for easy and safe transportation. It looks more like a bag since it has a zipper for safe storage.
- The string-hole in the middle makes it easier to store or carry around.
- These knives are suitable for beginners and experts who wants well-balanced throws every time.
- These throwing knives are perfect for practicing the no-spin throwing-technique.
- Its tip is liable to break easily since the grade os steel is a bit soft or thin.
4. SOG Throwing Knives with Sheath 3 Pack
SOG F041TN knife set is one of the versatile knives for throwing and general purposes. It comes in a pack of 3 that is great for beginners who practice often and also cost-effective for professional throwers.
The knife is held by the laser cut-out holes at both ends of the hole. They have a paracord handle design that looks great.
These knives come with reinforced nylon handles that are wrapped in paracord for an easy grip and comfort. It is light-weight and doesn’t add extra mass to the handle. While it provides a solid grip for knife throwers.
Lightweight and Balanced
Its straight edge fixed-blade has a stabled-weight with the handle that makes it ideal for knife throwing and other variety of purposes while you’re on a hike and preparing for a barbeque.
They are corrosion resistant and have a central balanced design. These throwing knives allow you to try a wide range of throwing techniques out. Thrower can target the bulls-eye with accuracy, with the even distribution of weight.
It comes with a straight ultra-sharp edge blade. It is crafted in 420 hard cased black stainless-steel metal. It is more durable than generic martial arts knives.
It comes with a ballistic nylon sheath of three compartments. Whether you’re practicing, competing, or training, you can fasten all three knives with its velcro strap and attach it via a belt.
These knives are designed for various throwing knife styles, such as combative rotation and recreational freestyle.
- These throwing knives come with full-tang 420-grade black stainless steel.
- It is reliable and durable.
- SOG provides a lifetime warranty and support.
- Paracord grip is prone to wear-and-tear. Also, too much grip can affect your throwing-technique.
5. United Cutlery Gil Hibben Small Thrower Set
This Triple Thrower Set from United Cutlery is made of quality material to ensure the best use of it. It has exceptional quality and ideal for competitors. This high-grade knife has a single-forged 420-grade stainless steel blade.
It is ergonomically crafted with a hammer grip silver handle. It has seven round laser cut-outs between the edge and handle. These Knives from United Cutlery is passed through safety and durability tests for the toughest conditions.
It weighs 13 ounces with an overall length of 8.5″ that makes it easy for experts to aim for long throws with efficiency.
It is well-balanced and allows you to display a lazy, slow spin-technique at targets. The center-stabilized design keeps throws from rotating too fast.
The knives come in a leather sheath with 3 sections. This leather holster prevents these corrosion-resistant knives from scratches and enables for easy transport.
- It offers maximum constancy and precision in throwing.
- It is one-piece construction.
- It is easy to throw.
- The set of throwing knives are sturdy and thick.
- Newbies will find it difficult to with this knife-set.
6. Expendables Kunai 3 Piece Set
|Design||Naruto Konoha Leaf|
|Weight||approx 3 oz|
United Cutlery manufactures this knife-set, and it is officially licensed from The Expendables movie. This United Cutlery UC2772 Kunai comes in the set of three that is balanced and accurate.
These united cutlery uc2772 set of knives are constructed from single pieces of anodized AUS-6 stainless-steel blade that is resistant to stain. It has a finger-ring on the end that serves with drawing and control in close quarters combat. While also cut down on wind resistance.
These throwing knives have black cord-wrapped handles with a finger-hole that makes its grip great.
It includes a custom black nylon sheath with belt loop, boot clip and leg-strap for multiple carrying options.
- It is sharp and can pierce target easily.
- It comes with a sheath, belt loop, and leg-drop.
- It delivers target impact force and can hold onto targets for a longer time.
- Its coating wears off with ease.
7. Perfect Point RC-179 Series Throwing Knife Set
|Tip Thickness||2 mm|
|Set Quantity||3 piece|
The small knives are perfect for newbies to practice. It is a 3-piece set with black blades and steel handles. Its blade strikes wooden boards without bending with impressive impact force.
It has a stylish design with a spider print on the blade. And the handle has laser cutout-holes for ribbon attachments.
Accurate and Lightweight
It is nearly a lightweight that benefits to launching with better accuracy at targets. The light-weight body offers more speed, thus makes it ideal for a close-range throw.
It has a stable-weight and CG or center of mass with a tip thickness of 2mm. This set has better penetrating-power and sticks woods and targets firmly.
- It is best for novices.
- It is a cheap and reliable knife set.
- It comes with a nylon sheath for safe transport.
- It isn’t good for long ranges.
8. Gil Hibben Competition Triple Set Large
|Set Quantity||3 piece|
This thrower set is well-balanced handle-less knives. Its handle is crafted with small cut-outs and the brand’s logo.
Its blade is made of a single piece 420-grade stainless steel that makes it durable. It has a firmly pointed tip and sticks onto wood or concrete targets longer than other metal.
It comes with a leather sheath for easy and secure transport. After practice, clean them and stack in their triple-section case. It prevents knives from scratches and dullness.
It is great for all throwing-styles that make it a great set for experts. It allows you to perform various techniques with efficiency and consistency. You can use a standard hammer grip and the cross-body maneuver techniques.
- It is best for advanced throwers.
- These knives are well balanced.
- It has an ergonomic handle.
9. Avias Knife Supply 3 Piece Kunai Throwing Knife Set
|Weight||approx 1 ounce|
|Design||Naruto Konoha Leaf|
|Blade Type||Stainless Steel Construction|
|Set Quantity||3 piece|
This Knife set comes with corded handles and rings at the ends. Its stylish design makes it look like ninja weaponry. The set includes a black, silver, and anodized rainbow color knife.
These stainless steel knives are solid. These smallest and the most lighter knives have better tensile strength and can stay sunk on hard-targets after a successful throw.
It is perfect for all throwing styles. These 6.5-inch knives are perfect for both beginners and champions. While these types are great for near distance throws.
The set of knives comes with a nylon carrying case with a Velcro closure. The sheath also features a loop so that you can attach a knife and case to your belt or bag.
- It is the perfect knife for throwing competitions, hunting, and self-defense.
- Its small size makes it handy.
- These knives are great for expert throwers.
- Its cord wrapped handle is prone to wear & tear.
10. Gil Hibben Black Triple Pro Throwing Knife Set
|Overall Length||8-5/8 inches|
|Blade-Type||420 J2 SS|
This Triple-Pro is a set of 3 black throwing-knives. It comes with a non-slip tensile cord-wrapped grip. These are top-rated throwing knives for beginners who look for low cost throwing-knife with high quality built.
It is perfectly balanced that assures uniform rotation when thrown properly. It has a sword-like appearance and suitable for self-defense and competitions.
The use of 420 J2 stainless steel makes it a sturdy-knife. It is sharp and corrosion-resistant.
Nylon Sheath Protection
It comes in a well-packaged black nylon sheath. The cover provides much ease of use throughout knife throwing-training and competitions.
- It is a compact crossbow that packs a punch.
- It is deadly accurate, and lightweight.
- It includes the USA manufacturer’s guarantee.
- It is accurate up to distances of 80 yards.
- 200lbs draw weight might be heavy for small-framed shooters.
Types of Throwing Knives
Do you know what kind of throwing knives penetrate well on concrete or wooden targets? Which throwing knife is best for hunting purposes?
There are some popular types of throwing knives, such as blade-heavy, balanced, folding, curved, pocket, EDC, double-sided, and ceramic knives.
Before learning how to select a throwing knife, here are the basic sorts of knives.
Blade Heavy Knife
The handle of this kind of knife is lighter in mass. It has more weight in the blade than in the handle. It is ideal for beginners as it is easier to learn how to throw from the hammer-technique. It also makes practice easy. You can project these knives with accuracy by gripping the handle so that you will throw the heaviest end first. It comes in different shapes like the foldable ones.
Handle Heavy Throwing Knife
The handle of the knife carries more weight than a blade. It means you have to throw the knife in such a manner so that the handle goes first. This is not a beginner’s knife. If you want to project this knife at targets, you need to be highly skilled.
It also needs more energy to grip and control the efficiency of the knife while throwing.
Balanced Throwing Knife
It is designed with its COG in the middle of the craft. Thus can toss from either the blade or handle. It offers much more flexibility hence suitable for beginner and professional throwers.
The rotations on a balanced throwing knife are predictable, which means throwers can predict the number of rotations before hitting the target.
This knife is a Japanese tool that is made of soft iron. Its blade is sturdy and can boreholes on a thick wall. It serves dual objectives as a weapon and farming tool.
It is unsharpened and has a geometric shape with well-aligned edges. The knives are also correlated with Chinese rope dart weapon.
Factors To Consider Before Buying The Best Throwing Knife
To master a hobby needs many hours put into practice. It takes patience until you become an expert in it. It is suggested that the beginner choose a large and soft target.
Holding The Knife
Hold the knife in a “hammer grip” style as it is the easiest and safest way to throw a knife for newbies.
Get into a proper stance
- To get into a correct posture, put your non-dominant leg in front. Most of your weight should be placed on the dominant-leg that is behind.
- Start with the medium-range from 6-10 feet.
- Now start with the arm placed straight forward. After that, slightly bends the elbow and start raising your arm until above your head.
Most importantly, keep your arm, head, and body-safe.
Releasing the knife
Transfer the weight from the non-dominant leg to the dominant one. After performing an arm movement, the arm should be placed in front of you.
Once you managed the swing, release the knife. If the knife starts rolling horizontally after the release, then you’ve performed a great knife tossing movement.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How To Check The Balance of Throwing Knife?
Lay the throwing knife across your index finger and adjust the position until it stays there without you holding it. A well balanced-knife will have its COG (center of gravity) in the middle.
2. Does Throwing Knives Come With a Sheath?
It all depends on the style, brand, and model of the knife you buy. Some brands offer belt sheath, arm-sheath, or leg-sheaths that are designed from durable fabric. However, some brands don’t provide sheaths. Check the product description and what is included in the package.
3. How Heavy Should A Throwing knife be?
Throwing knife with a weight of around 200g is perfect, to begin with. Knives with lighter-weight are hard to control and bounce back from the target at random. For long distances starting at 5m, you can go for heavier knives around 250g or more.
4. What are the factors to consider while throwing a knife?
Some vital tips to keep in mind on how to throw a knife:
- Try to don’t snap your wrist when throwing. Snapping a wrist while throwing might feel natural, but it isn’t advisable. Since it is difficult to snap it the same way each time you throw.
- Keep your eye on the handle, not on the blade. If the knife hits the target with handle-up, move forward by a few inches.
- The balancing point must be close to its centre. If you want, it’ll project equally whether you use the handle or the blade.
- Try to be consistent with every aspect of your throw, including grip, posture, wind-up, and release.
- Use logs from target practice. When using log rounds, get the one that is 4″ thick at the minimum. Since thicks, logs will last longer.