In A Hurry? Our Top 3 Picks To Buy
Newbie or Experienced hunters know the importance of proper hunting equipment. A top class crossbow and accessories are essential for a successful hunt.
Walking for miles through an unforgiving land takes a toll on the body. Your feet carry the weight of the body and give the ability to reach that favorite hunting spot.
For climbing tree stand ladders and crossing small streams gripping ability of your boots is very important. A good pair of boots can make a big difference in being able to tolerate the rough terrain of the land and can impact the safety of being out in the elements of ice, snow, and below freezing temperatures.
Below is the list of Best Hunting Boots, comparison chart, and buying guide.
Which are the 10 Best Hunting Boots In 2020?
1. Timberland Pro Men’s 8 Inch Boondock Work and Hunt Boot
Timberland Pro boots are sturdy, waterproof, and are the perfect hunting or industrial workplace boots. Its extra rubbered toe makes them rave and provides extra protection at places like ironworks.
These boots are rugged and stylish and available in different heights and without insulation also. They have a 6 inches tall ankle shaft when measured from the arch. Timberland Pro Boots are constructed with Goodyear welt construction, and this involves stitching a rubber or leather material around the border of the boots for extra waterproofing and easy re-soling.
A pair of boot features a Fiberglass shank for a structural spot. With a Dual-density dynamic anti-fatigue technology absorbs shock and returns energy at key zones of the foot. These Boondock boots are available in sizes 7-15 in medium and extra wide models.
- It has a lightweight composite toe.
- It features anti-fatigue technology for all day long.
- Its heel measures approx 2″ and platform 1.00″.
- It also has safety steel toes for protection against impact and construction.
- Its waterproof membrane construction provides superior waterproof protection.
- It is suitable for the hunters and workers in the oil and gas industry.
- The front looks bulky because of the insulation and rubber toe.
2. Kamik Men’s Hunter Boot
Kamik is a well-known manufacturer of high quality hunting boots for hiking and other outdoor activities. These boots are 100% waterproof and are built to resist water, oil, and even acid. They’ll keep your feet dry and comfy even when trekking through rain puddles or snow piles.
Kamik’s boots are made from waterproof synthetic rubber with an adjustable waterproof nylon collar. They also feature an 8mm Thermal Guard removable liner made from 100% recycled materials. This two-layer system wicks away moisture while locking in body heat.
A pair of boot is 13 inches high and weighs 4.6 pounds. The opening of boot measures 15.5 inches around with a shaft that is 13″ from the arch and a heel measure 1.25″ in size.
- It has Thermal Guard Liner that locks in body heat.
- Its synthetic rubber exterior is 100% waterproof.
- It is designed for snowy and rainy conditions.
- It is one of the best hunting boots that is easy to slip on and take off.
- It provides outstanding grip and comfort.
- At less than 3 pounds pair they won’t tire you out on long spots.
- In warm weather, feet may get overheated and sweat profusely. This can be overcome by removing the inside line.
3. Irish Setter Men’s 808 Wingshooter Upland Hunting Boot
Irish Setter Men’s 800 Upland Hunting Boots are one of the best hunting boots. They have deep lugs that keep outsoles free of mud and woodland floor debris.
These boots are 100% waterproof that keeps feet dry and comfortable with Ultra Dry technology. Irish Setter 808 features a Prairie sole that reduces weight, provides underfoot cushioning. It also offers good traction in any upland terrain.
- It has a rubber sole that helps to reduce the total weight of the boot.
- Its foot-bed is removable and made of polyurethane.
- The shaft of the boot measures 8.5″ from the arch for better protection.
- It comes with lots of sizes.
- It features Goodyear welt stitch construction.
- It is completely waterproof that keeps dry and warm feet, even in wet areas of the jungle.
- The lace eyelets pull away from leather after a while.
- You may feel boot very tight initially. But eventually, you’ll get it fit with your foot size.
4. LaCrosse Men’s Alphaburly Pro 18″ Hunting Boot
Alphaburly Pro is the perfect pair of hunting boots built for comfort, durability, and cold weather. They are made from a combination of neoprene and rubber, and these boots are an excellent choice for hunters.
The heel and toe of the boots are reinforced with multiple layers of rubber. These boots have an impressive 1600 grams of Thinsulate insulation lining that keeps your feet warm in the cold.
They are made of rubber and neoprene, does a great job of keeping the moisture out of the boot. They also feature embossed wick liner to help regulate the air inside the boot and reduce sweating.
- This hunting boot pair weighs 5.5 pounds, that is relatively lightweight.
- Its lug sole offers great traction and tread.
- They are made with a natural rubber compound that makes them easy to put on and take off.
- It is a well-insulated outdoor boots to keep feet warm during the cold season.
- It is lined with 1600 grams of Thinsulate for above average insulation.
- They are a bit expensive than other rubber boots.
5. Muck Boot Woody Max Men’s Hunting Boot
These Hunting boots are one of the premier products of Muck Boot. It features a 15-inch high shaft that makes it ideal cold weather hunting and wading through swamps and puddles.
The Muckboots woody boot is made from rubber and neoprene. The insulating neoprene offers flexibility as well as maintains the toughness of the rubber part. It is one of the best hunting boots that features high abrasion outsole that is tough as nails and provides sure all-terrain footing. The upper has a stretch fit binding that holds it close to the leg to avoid environmental intrusions.
- It has heat retention capability that makes it the best pair for winter and cold conditions.
- Its upper is comprised of tough abrasion resistant neoprene & rubber.
- Its seamless design prevents debris from getting in.
- The fleece lining is soft and comfortable to the skin.
- It is extremely rugged and durable.
- It is lightweight and ideal for fast-paced hunts.
6. Bogs Mens Classic High Rain and Winter Snow Boot
Bogs Men’s Classic High is a rugged model that offers great protection from mud, dirt, and rain. These boots for hunting are made from 7mm waterproof Neo-Tech insulation and are available in three different colors. Bogs men’s classic is one of the best waterproof boots on the market.
This boot has been rated to be able to withstand use in temperatures as low as -40F. It is lined with Bogs Max-Wick that moves sweat away from your feet to keep you dry. The boot opening measures approx 14.5 inches and shaft measures approx 12 inches from the arch. It features a neoprene upper and a detachable shock liner with moisture wicking properties.
- It is one of the more comfortable boots in the rain and other climatic conditions.
- It features Neo-Tech waterproof insulation.
- It has round lugs and long bands across the bottom of the sole.
- It has an Aegis antimicrobial odor protection insole that provides some cushion and reduces odor-causing microbes.
- Its 14.5″ boot opening enables problem free on and off so you can jump into the action fast and easy.
7. Rocky Men’s Sport Utility Pro Hunting Boot
The Rocky Sport Utility waterproof boots will keep your feets dry and warm in almost any condition. These ankle-high hunting boots are built tight with superior materials and ultradry waterproofing system that helps in keeping dry feet and comfortable throughout activities for work and weekends.
It has molded EVA midsole and 1000 grams of Thinsulate Ultra insulation that keeps you extra comfortable. Its molded heel guard and rugged rubber outsole ensure safe stepping on all kinds of terrains. With an upper constructed from Cordura nylon and full-grain leather, these boots protect you from the elements and keep you warm and dry. Its flexible ankle and rock solid lacing provides comfort and durability that will never hold you back. The shaft of the shoes measures approx Mid-Calf” from arch and platform measures approx 1.25″.
- It is 100% leather and textile.
- It features molded heel guard and outsole for traction and stable footing.
- It is available in three different colors- Mossy Oak breakup, Soggy Brown, Camouflage.
- The full grain leather upper provides support & protection.
- The Rocky waterproof construction ensures great protection from moisture.
- It is designed to stay warm & dry even in the worst weather conditions.
- Its insulation is quick drying and moisture resistant.
8. Lacrosse Men’s 4X Alpha Snake Boot
Lacrosse is one of the well-known and longstanding brands in the boot world. The rugged construction of 4X Alpha Boot is top-notch, and are incredibly effective at guarding you against bites while having your feet dry in extreme mud and water conditions.
With a comfortable build, durable rubber, and shock-absorbing outsole, this is a unique pair of snake boot worth considering. It offers 360 degree snake guard upper to keep your legs and feet safe from snake bites.
The snake-guard on this boot extends 16-inches from the ground and is designed with four layers of underfoot cushioning. For a custom fit, the boots provide you with an adjustable back gusset and straps to make the required adjustments.
- It is designed with a contoured ankle fit.
- It has a shin guard that offers additional protection.
- It is sturdy and highly durable.
- These boots also provide adequate protection against venomous snake bite.
- It features the highest quality rubber buckle at the calf that enables for an adjustable fit.
- It features a waterproof design.
- It is hard to get on and off.
- Since they made of neoprene & rubber, these boots aren’t going to breathe at all.
9. Hanagal Men’s Bushland Hiking & Hunting Boots
Hanagal Bushland Boots is one of the toughest and amongst the sturdiest hunting boots. These boots are shorter with a camouflage upper and toe-cap. This toe cap prevents debris from entering the boot and is effective on sand and water.
For the boot collars, it uses Lycra Spandex that enhances the comfort element of the boot. It has a high-quality outsole that offers better traction. The anti-bacterial footbeds provide comfort, ventilation, and prevent odors. It also features self-cleaning lugs to prevent the buildup of mud. This feature allows the boots to stay lightweight in the field.
- Its Vibram sole provides excellent support and comfort.
- It is perfect for the early season hunts as well as mid-season hunting trips.
- Its Breathable King Tex membrane enables improved comfort and efficiency.
- The snug fit makes this hunting boot feel like natural extensions of your feet.
- It also features 100D camouflage upper.
10. R RUNFUN Men’s Lightweight Anti-Slip Waterproof Hunting Boots
R RUNFUN Lightweight Boots are designed for hunting activities in any extreme outdoor conditions. Its upper is made in camouflage with oxford fabric, and color appearance closes to the natures environment.
With waterproof material and unique breathable lining, these boots make your feet in an all-day comfortable condition. It has anti-slip sole and insulated 200G 3M Thinsulate that provides reliable protection in extreme outdoor conditions.
The lightweight camo wrapped EVA mid-sole reduces the stress and pressure of your feet. These boots are amazing for those looking for a lighter boot than traditional ones.
- It is lightweight and helps reduce foot fatigue.
- It is water resistant and stays dry in damp conditions.
- It is durable and affordable.
- It offers excellent traction.
Comparison Chart for Top 10 Hunting Boots In 2020
|Timberland Pro||2 lbs||8″|
|Kamik||2 lbs 6 oz||13″|
|Irish Setter 808||4 lbs||9″|
|LaCrosse Alphaburly Pro||12 oz||16″|
|Muck Boot Woody Max||2.3 lbs||15″|
|Bogs Classic||12 oz||12″|
|Rocky Sport Utility Pro||12 oz||10″|
|Lacrosse 4X Alpha||2.5 lbs||14.5″|
|Hanagal Mens Bushland||1.5 lbs||–|
|R Runfun||1 lbs||–|
Types of Hunting Boots
When it comes to hunting, the most crucial factors is to have the right type of hunting boots. Your hunting success is indirectly influenced by how far your feet can take you when going after your prey.
Without the right hunting boots, your feet may become too sore or become too hot or sweaty. The proper hunting boots will keep your feet protected at all time from sneaky obstacles. Some of the best are listed below:
This types of boots are great for those who want a pair of shoes to protect them during inland hunting with various terrains and extreme cold or extremely wet weather. However, these boots aren’t waterproof, since they are made with leather, mesh, and nylon. It doesn’t include waterproof materials and can consist of a variety of insulation to suit your weather needs.
Field boot is the most classic of all hunting boots since it is perfect for offering stability and protection over rugged terrain.
These boots are perfect for those looking to keep their feet as dry as possible while they hunt in wet conditions. The rubber material doesn’t easily hold on to odors as it reflects away water.
However, these boots are not suitable for very cold climate, due to the rubber material not allowing itself well to the addition of insulation. The rubber boot is ideal while hunting in marshlands and muddy areas.
It comes with a high collar that extends upto your knees to provide maximum protection for your legs from the snake and insect bites, etc. It is the hybrid model between a field and a rubber hunting boot.
How to Choose the Best Hunting Boots?
Selecting the right pair of hunting boots will bring you comfort and also provide safety. In this guide, we covered up the essential factors that you need to know when it comes to buying hunting boots.
Weight and Height
The heavy boots with high height will be perfect for the tough terrain. The heavier boots have extra treads that are important for giving you the best traction.
Those boots with a height of 10″ are ideal for archers and other athletic forms of hunting since these boots are lightweight and provide excellent flexibility.
For all-purpose hunting, 16 inches boots are a great option as they provide excellent support, durability, and performance important for hunting.
It is essential to determine which boots are ideal for tropical summer or winters.
- Low insulation
This type of insulation is perfect for summer and for areas where the temperature isn’t low. Anything below 200 grams of insulation is called low insulation.
- Standard insulation
It ranges from 400 – 800 grams of insulation. The boots with standard insulation are a decent choice for winter with low snow. They are also ideal for those who’ll need to prey stalking for a long period.
- Heavy insulation
Anything from 900 grams and above is known as heavy-duty pair that are specially designed for winter uses.
There is nothing bad than having wet feet during a hunt! That’s why usually all hunting boots are waterproof, though not all of them offer the same level of water protection. The manufacturers commonly use neoprene material that helps with waterproofing of the boot. You can also opt for double stitching and bonding for the same purpose.
Durability is determined by the type of material used to make them. As they can be made from a variety of materials, the most common one include leather and rubber.
- The multi-purpose boots are the most versatile as you can take them anywhere and they’ll be great. They are durable, waterproof, and comfortable.
- The leather boots are the popular one and offer the best durability and comfort. However, you’ve to take care of them if you want them to keep looking good.
- The nylon boots are excellent for general purpose hunting. They are durable enough to keep shooter safe while hunting.
- The Upland boots are lightweight and can use for hunting. It would be great for bird hunters who have to remain the quiet as they try to reach the target.
- The high country boots are best-suited for deer hunting. They provide you the best support for feet and high elevation
There are two types of feet, i.e., wide and narrow. Selecting your perfect fit according to your foot structure is mandatory. If you get a pair of boot that doesn’t fit properly, then you’ll end up having trouble walking.
Make sure that you know the perfect size before making the purchase. Don’t choose the boots that are too big or too small. Boots with lacing system allow you to adjust the laces for a secure fit easily.
Having great traction will help you easily navigate the terrain without any problem. It depends on the type of tread pattern, and a good pattern provides the best traction.
Some boots are implemented with Scent Ban technology. The scent of a hunter can spook the animal you are hunting. Therefore choose a pair of boot that’ll keep the scent from escaping from the boots. As much as it has to mask the scent, it should still be breathable so that the feet to do sweat a lot.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Thinsulate? How Does It Keep Your Feet Warm?
Thinsulate is a brand of thermal insulation marketed by 3M. A thermal insulation fabric is a type of cloth that preserves heat and prevents cold air from entering in. It has closely packed Thinsulate fibers that have very fewer gaps between them, which prevent heat from flowing out of the fabric or cold air from flowing in.
2. How many Grams of Insulation Do You Need For Hunting Boots?
- A hunting boot with 200g of insulation is perfect for mildly cold days or evenings with a high level of activities.
- 400g of insulation will work for mildly cooler days with moderate or little activity.
- A boot with 800g of insulation is perfect for cold days roughly between 30-40 degrees with light activity.
- 1200-2000 grams of insulation is suitable for icy weather where there is little or no activity. However, these boots are thick and not as easy to move around in.
3. Can Hunting Boots be Used For Hiking?
Not all hunting boots are well suited as hiking boots. Hiking boots are just built to hike whereas hunting boots are made with the hunter and rigors of hunting in mind. Both hiking and hunting boots offer great support to help give you stability and traction while you trek through woods and uneven surfaces. The hiking boot is preferred by some hunters who take long walks through the woods.
Hunters need a boot to stay dry or keep their feet warm when they’re not moving since they often hike long distances or sedentary for long periods.
4. Can You Wash Hunting Boots?
If you have leather boots, don’t wash them. Wait until they dry & brush them off thoroughly with horse-hair brush. Then apply a saddle soap or leather cleaner with a cotton cloth. At last, remove the cleanser with a separate dry cotton cloth.
5. What are The Best Laces For Hunting Boots?
A boot with 200 cm length lace will be more than enough in most cases. However, a top brand boot will come with good laces and swapping out when not needed may hinder the overall fit of the boot. It is recommended to use the laces intended for the particular boot as they’ll usually be as durable as the boot itself.